Copper Bar & Byzantine Chain Maille Articulated Necklace
Our Copper Bar & Byzantine Chain Maille Articulated Necklace features seven sections of hammered copper bars and eight sections of byzantine chain maille units interjoined, to form an articulated necklace that is as beautiful as it is interesting, making it a statement piece you could wear with anything and everything for a bold, artisan look.
- Straight 1" bars, the center 1-1/4" crescent-shaped bar, and 1-3/4" long pendant bar are hand cut from copper sheet, filed, sanded, and hammered for textural interest.
- A twisted copper ring runs through the bar pendant's self-bail that is attached to the center crescent bar with a copper jump ring.
- 18 gauge copper jump rings are woven into 3/4" byzantine chain maille units and joined to the bars to create the necklace.
- This necklace is lightly antiqued achieved with a brown chemical patina made by Jax, a USA manufacturer of metal-finishing products. Once the color dries, I use steel wool to remove the darkened areas in some places and leave in other places to create the antiqued look.
- Features a handmade hook clasp closure created with heavy gauge copper wire that is hammered for sturdiness. It is simple to attach through any of the jump rings that compose a 4" chain extender making this an adjustable length necklace from approximately 17" to 21". The extender chain is embellished with a copper-plated pewter feather charm that looks lovely as it hangs down your neck at the back.
- This copper necklace is treated with three coats of Renaissance Wax before it leaves our studio. The wax locks in the patina and helps prevent the green color that copper can transfer to some people's skin. Although the stain is harmless and temporary, as it is easily removed with soap and water, we like to do everything we can so our copper jewelry does not stain.